Thursday 5 April 2007

Baby, I'm hot just like an oven....

I've had a few stressful weeks. I was promoted at work and whilst, career-wise, I was elated at being given the opportunity to be satisfyingly challenged, the transition has been anything but smooth. I've always wondered about, you know, this whole corporate yuppie scene of the 20-somethings: working 15 hour days, chasing the elusive dollar signs just to buy another investment property. I guess I don't understand this hungry pursuit of wealth nor status. It's soul-less and empty when your identity is defined from the labels in your expensive clothes or shoes.

Anyway, I digress, my point is I don't work for the sake of working. I can work incredibly hard when it means something profound to me, to do some good in the world. Thus, whilst I enjoy my work and appreciate it, I don't take it that seriously because in relation to that of, for example, a doctor, the corporate world is essentially all about consumerism and making the rich even richer. There is nothing wrong with that per se but the reality is, it is not significant and I have no grand delusion about that. So when I actually stressed about work, it was particularly absurb to me (especially when I am in the midst of reading the new Kofi Annan biography - now that's about as stressful as it gets!). Nonetheless, it has been stressful (I was doing pretty long hours) and a little Ben Harper was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Ben Harper @ the Enmore was fantastic! This is the second time I have seen his show and there is nothing quite as magical nor spiritual as Ben live (and by magical, I don't mean the pot that everyone was burning down ;) ). Soulful lyrics, captivating foot-tapping acoustics- an eclectic mix of funk, blues, rock, reggae. My favourite moment of the night was his acoustic version of Walk Away.

I taped some of it on my camera and uploaded to youtube. Sorry for the crazy shaky fuzzy camera-work, I was dancing and singing along to Sexual Healing. Also, the quality is a bit shite due to it being a small digital camera.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

So illegal of u..